Re: [Exim] Exim having problems receiving mail from certain …

Author: Miquel van Smoorenburg
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim having problems receiving mail from certain servers while no blocking list us used...
In article <00a801c15c85$6b35d3a0$0a00a8c0@thunderbird1>,
<bjorn.padding@???> wrote:
>;; ANSWER SECTION:
>multimediadesign.nl.    23h43m42s IN MX  10 pop.multimediadesign.nl.
>multimediadesign.nl.    23h43m42s IN MX  30 fallback.widexs.nl.

>pop.multimediadesign.nl. 23h43m42s IN A 213.10.168.112
>
>I can't receive mail from certain (most) mail-servers....
>
>I tried to telnet to port 25, to multimediadesign.nl (213.10.168.112 -
>please, feel free :) ), from various machines which then pops-up with:
> -- No route to host --

That is the problem right there. From my machine:

# telnet 213.10.168.112 25
Trying 213.10.168.112...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: No route to host

There is nothing exim can do about this. There is a firewall between
me and you. Hey, wait a minute:

# telnet 213.10.168.112 22
Trying 213.10.168.112...
Connected to ipd50aa870.speed.planet.nl.
Escape character is '^]'.
^]qSSH-1.5-OpenSSH-1.2.3

Aha. This is an ADSL account at the Dutch provider 'planet'. They
filter out port 25 for all their ADSL customers to prevent abuse.

If I remember correctly you need to configure mailrelay.planet.nl as
the (not 'a', _the_) secondary MX for the domain. Talk to Planet
Internet for the exact details, they might need to configure their
mailrelay for your domains as well.

Mike.
--
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
and I'm not sure about the former" -- Albert Einstein.