Re: [Exim] Messages not being deletes or frozen

トップ ページ
このメッセージを削除
このメッセージに返信
著者: Philip Hazel
To: Dan Egli
CC: Exim Users
題目: Re: [Exim] Messages not being deletes or frozen
On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Dan Egli wrote:

> Ok. I've got a question. On one of the servers I'm administrating, the mail
> system has SEVERAL messages over two weeks old that are undeliverable, but
> have not expired or frozen, despite my settings. Observe:
>
> 20d   49K 15ovQR-00071Z-00 <(address removed)>
>           ray.warner@???

> 18d  3.0K 15pWYK-0000Ts-00 <(address removed)>
>           islandhome@???

> 17d  3.6K 15px93-0001pL-00 <(address removed)>
>           islandhome@???

> 17, 18, and 20 days? Come on! Here's my retry config:
>
> *                      *           F,2h,15m; G,16h,1h,1.5; F,4d,8h
> Now correct me if I'm wrong, but that translates to:
> Try every 15 mins till message is 2 hours old, then
> Then Try an hour, and then gain 1.5 hours till the message is 16 hours old,
> then
> try the message evry 8 hours till it's 4 days old.

> Correct?

Correct. Try running this test

exim -d9 -q 15px93-0001pL-00

and see what the debugging output says. If you can't make sense of it,
send it to me. Cancel that - no need - see below...

> The mailq routnie (exim -bp) lists these as active messages, not frozen,
> despite the problems reaching the mail servers they belong to. I read the
> logs, and it's getting DNS timeouts looking up the MX addresses for those
> sites. Observe:
>
> 2001-10-23 11:20:11 15ovQR-00071Z-00 == ray.warner@???
> R=lookuphost defer (-1): host lookup did not complete
> 2001-10-23 11:20:11 15ovQR-00071Z-00 failed to open DB file
> /var/spool/exim/db/retry: File exists

AHA!!! There's your problem. Exim can't open its retry database. So it
can't record any retry information. So the whole retry logic will be
stuffed.

Seems a really weird error though, since it should be opening the file
for update.

You can try rm /var/spool/exim/db/* to kill all the retry data, and let
Exim re-create it.