Re: [Exim] Memory issues with pgsql interface

Author: Sheldon Hearn
To: Gavin Sherry
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Memory issues with pgsql interface

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001 11:15:06 +1000, Gavin Sherry wrote:

> I decided to run a mailing list of about 7000 people out of postgres with
> Exim. I was quite surprised when queue runners were picking up the message
> and using memory like this:
>
> exim       566  8.6  6.5 289996 33820 ?      S    10:49   0:27 /usr/exim/bin/exim -qq

> Has anyone come across this kind of thing when using the pgsql interface?

First, see Philip's comments on the size of the spool directory.

Also, are you using Exim-native pgsql lookups, or Exim-embedded Perl lookups
with DBD::Pg? Be aware that DBD::Pg does _not_ use SQL cursors, but
retrieves the ENTIRE result set for a query and then fakes the cursoring
itself.

Ciao,
Sheldon.