[Exim] "pack-attachments" transport_filter

Author: bhoc
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] "pack-attachments" transport_filter
Hi,

I successfully implemented renattach
(http://freshmeat.net/projects/renattach/) as a transport_filter to rename
'dangerous' attachments, to protect them outlook users.
While watching the queue I see a bunch of people sending large (really
large, say, 17MB) attachments; if that company had a T3 this wouldn't be
such a problem, but with a 256K link that is also used by squid it can be
tedious. It is not rare that some 200MB worth of bytes are in the queue.
(which takes roughly 2 hours if exim had the line for itself. In reality it
takes about four hours)

There are several options:

1. defer large mails to off-peak hours (19:00 through 07:00)
2. reject large mails
3. mangle large mails through a filter that packs the attachments (use a
'popular' format such as .zip that is understood by 'popular' operating
systems)
4. a combination of all above.

I guess I could handle 1) and 2) by reading through the spec file. Anyone
here with an idea for 3) ? ("pack-if-larger-than-1M AND attachment
extension not in 'tar tgz zip bzip2 pdf jpg' ")

-- Ben (bhoc at pentagroup in ch)