Re: [Exim] Odd DNS-Related Behavior

Author: Greg Ward
To: Craig Sprout
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Odd DNS-Related Behavior
On 15 October 2001, Craig Sprout said:
> I have been noticing some strange behavior with DNS lookups that seems to
> affect Exim only.
>
> >From time to time, all outbound mail will suddenly stop working. Clients
> (mainly Netscape) trying to send mail will time out.
>
> In my mainlog, I get the following error for these messages:
>
> lookuphost defer (-1): host lookup did not complete
>
> I am running a caching-only nameserver on the mail host (it is listed first
> in /etc/resolv.conf), and have 3 other nameservers outside the local LAN
> available to me.

This isn't much help, but maybe you should list *only* the local cachine
nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf. I'm not entirely sure of how the
resolver library works, but it's possible that it picks a nameserver
from resolv.conf at random, rather than going through them in order.
(Probably depends on the resolver being used.) If you have only one
nameserver (the local cache), that at least reduces your variability.

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - software developer                gward@???