Re: [Exim] PEM vs x.509 certs in smtp over ssl

Top Pagina
Auteur: Richard Welty
Aan: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] PEM vs x.509 certs in smtp over ssl
On Sat, 13 Oct 2001 01:42:35 -0500, hanasaki <hanasaki@???>
wrote:

>I have made the PEM files for courier impd-ssl and the system runs like
>a champ!!! Can these same PEM's be used for exim smtp over ssl? If so,
>how ?
>
>I have had no luck finding out what a PEM is vs an x.509 cert.
>
>Could someone point out a URL? Does anyone know how to make a PEM for
>courier with Java <either a small program or keytool would do> I tired
>an exported x.509 that was self certified with keytool - courier bawked
>at it.

look at the openssl documentation (since exim uses openssl for all
tls/ssl processing, you should reflexively include a trip to the
opessl documentation for all these sorts of questions.)

http://www.openssl.org/docs/HOWTO/certificates.txt

is an incomplete howto on certificates. there is other documentation
scattered about opessl, including the openssl man page and various
related man pages such as ca and x509

you have a bit of reading to do; but one hint: PEM is a format for
certs, there are more than one. man x509 will probably help a bit.

richard