Re: [Exim] autoreply: "relaying is not allowed" error

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Greg Ward
A: James Ladan
Cc: Exim Users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] autoreply: "relaying is not allowed" error
On 11 October 2001, James Ladan said:
> > My guess is that the problem lies on Sympatico's mail gateway.
>
> Yep. When I tried a manual SMTP session with "mail from:<>" it complained,
> but when I used "mail from:<postmaster@???>" it worked fine.

Well, you can try complaining to Sympatico, but they're a Very Big
Company and I doubt you'll get very far. Still, it's a bogus way to
configure an SMTP server, and they should fix it. It's probably a very
lame attempt to block spammers from using Sympatico.

> > Also try it with other envelope senders, in particular your Sympatico
> > email address (I'm guessing they give one to every subscriber), and an
> > address that is valid but not from Sympatico.
>
> Now that I know this works... Forgive me for asking, but how do I specify
> this from within exim's configuration? I've looked through the
> documentation and can only find an "envelope-to" field.

You don't -- you specify the enveloper sender either directly in an SMTP
session ("MAIL FROM:<...>"), or with the -f option to Exim. Eg.
exim -f postmaster@??? < /dev/null
will send an empty message with an envelope sender of
"postmaster@???". Note that you need to be a "trusted user" to use
this option. RTFM on -f and the trusted_users directive.

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - software developer                gward@???