Re: [Exim] documentation for exim4

Top Pagina
Auteur: Philip Hazel
Aan: Phil Chambers
CC: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] documentation for exim4
On Tue, 9 Oct 2001, Phil Chambers wrote:

> Some options determine whether the driver is called - like "condition" and
> "domains". If such an option is not satisfied the driver is not called and
> control passes to the next director/router. Other options are (my terminology)
> parameters which effect the way the driver behaves if it is called. Once called,
> options may cause the driver to "decline", or "accept" an address. I'm still not
> sure if "declining" is the same as "failing" an address, this bit being important
> in working out what will happen if "no_more" is set.

That's a good point which I'm already aware of. You'll see in the
document I published that I already go to some pains to spell this stuff
out. I hope to be even more clear in the manual.

(And no, "decline" is not "fail". "Decline" means "I can't handle it;
maybe the next router can". "Fail" means "bounce this address". There
was confusion in earlier editions of the documentation when I used
"fail" in both these senses at times.)

> Please don't take this as a criticism of the current documentation. It is far
> superior to that of any other package I have worked with.

Thank you.