[Exim] big mailing lists

Top Pagina
Auteur: Jonnie
Aan: exim-users
Onderwerp: [Exim] big mailing lists
We have a requirement to handle large (100K recipient) mailing lists
in exim and the routing delay is hitting us very hard. We have a caching
name server running on the mail machine - but we still have a delay of
many hours. I'm told longer *negative* caching might help but I guess there
are problems with that.

We got completely goosed the other day when the client
(who'd been told not to send more than one bulk mail a day) sent two
list mails within 45 minutes. Ah, clients .... worse than managers.

Clearly what I need to do is split the message with a huge recipient list
into a number of messages which will route in parallel.

I've been puzzling over this for some time now and I wonder if something
like this should work:

** in the main config **

message_filter = /path/to/filter/file
message_filter_pipe_transport = bendy_batch_transport

** in filter file **

if (condition matching list messages)
    pipe "/path/to/exim -bS"

** new transport **

bendy_batch_transport
    driver = pipe
    bsmtp = domain
    prefix =
    suffix =
    user = majordom (or some other trusted user)
    batch_max = 1000

What do the experts think ? Does this make any sense or should I look
embarrassed and read the manual more.

Get your own FREE local e-mail address at http://www.merseymail.com/