Re: [Exim] Exim ain't delivering maildirs

Author: Matthew Byng-Maddick
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim ain't delivering maildirs
On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 08:17:59PM -0400, Greg Ward wrote:
> What user is Exim trying to deliver messages as? My guess is "nate",
> not "mail" -- hence the error. You probably need to
> chown -R nate /var/mail/mylinuxbox.org/nate

It was giving errors of "cannot chdir to ...". In order to be able to chdir(2)
a process must have execute permissions for *all* the directory inodes in the
chain, as it will (in the kernel) chdir to each inode individually, and the
execute bit means that it is allowed to map the inode into memory, and hence
read it, to get the next level in the chain. (this is the job of namei). So
you need to make sure that *all* of /var /var/mail /var/mail/mylinuxbox.org
and /var/mail/mylinuxbox.org/nate have execute permissions by the appropriate
user.

MBM