[Exim] Re: Exim Quick Install problems still...

Top Pagina
Auteur: P Kirk
Aan: Chris Seberino
CC: ph10, exim-users
Onderwerp: [Exim] Re: Exim Quick Install problems still...

>Problem #1:
>Logs on isolated LAN tell me problems with
>"resolving". I didn't configure Linux PC for DNS
>but all is in /etc/hosts. I even
>tried to mail to a straight IP address.
>Everything gave back messages
>saying "cannot be resolved at this time".
>Any ideas??
>Maybe DNS server necessary for Exim????
>Why mailing to someone@123.456.789.123 bad?
>This should not need DNS!!

Phil will know better but I wonder if the reverse DNS authentication is
on?
host_lookup = *
If you have not got DNS set up nicely in /etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf
this will prevent that.

Sending to IP addresses is particularly probelmatic. I worked for an
ISP and we were supposed to have reverse DNS set up on all out IP
addresses. We didn't. And as far as I know, a lot of sloppy practice
like that still goes on.

>Problem #2
>I can't email to my DHCP machine at home.
>I don't know if ISP has some firewall
>or the problem is with Exim config.
>When I to to email to root@204.210.48.66
>I get "refused relay (host) to <root@204.210.48.66> from ...".
>When I try root@???
>I get NO messages as if email never made it to
>my machine!

Why not make this easy for yourself? Go to www.dhis.org, have a name
assigned to your machine and even if your machine changes IP address,
you can email, ssh, ftp, etc. For example, I can always be reached on
pkirk.net.dhis.org even though I get a different IP each time I connect.

Of course, there may be a simpler explanation with a workaround Phil
know about.

Regards,

Patrick