Re: [Exim] SMTP AUTH and /etc/shadow authentication

Inizio della pagina
Autore: Tabor J. Wells
To: Martyn Drake
CC: exim-users
Oggetto: Re: [Exim] SMTP AUTH and /etc/shadow authentication
On Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 08:32:36PM +0100,
Martyn Drake <martyn@???> is thought to have said:

> Every time I attempt to send out a message using SMTP AUTH via Outlook
> 2002, I receive an Authenticated Failed: 535 Incorrect Autentication
> Data alert. Having looked on Google for a possible solution, it appears
> that the reason for this to occur is that /etc/shadow isn't being
> consulted to confirm authentication.
>
> Is there a quick 'n' easy way of getting around this so that I can
> authenticate properly through /etc/shadow (as the system is running on
> shadow passwords).

This FAQ Q0037. In short, since Exim doesn't run as root by default, and
since Linux-PAM doesn't allow shadow access if it's not running as root,
you have a problem. You could probably run Exim as root as a workaround
but that's not recommended. Or you could possibly do something with an
alternate password db which is readable by exim and do your AUTH lookups
there.

Tabor

Tabor J. Wells                                     twells@???
Fsck It!                 Just another victim of the ambient morality