[Exim] I need some quick help with ownership and permissions…

Top Pagina
Auteur: Daniel Einspanjer
Aan: exim-users
Onderwerp: [Exim] I need some quick help with ownership and permissions, please.
Yesterday, I noticed some world writable files in my /usr/local/src directory
on my linux box, so I went to get rid of them with a chmod -R go-rwx ./src, but
I accidentally hit enter after the dot. :( Well, I quickly hit ctrl-break, but
some damage had already been done. Several of the directories in /usr/local
had their permissions reset. Anyway.. I tried to set them to what I thought
looked right.. I gave o+rx to bin/ etc/ and exim-3.22/ but just today, I
noticed that exim wasn't working properly.

It is receiving mail, but not delivering it to local mailboxes.. The paniclog
is filling with "exec of exim " ["-q" or "-Mc"] " failed: Permission denied",
and I am too inexperienced in the linux administration world to know why.
::sigh:: I tried running an exim -q as root and it runs fine, but I know that
I compiled exim to run under the user mail as a daemon. Can someone tell me
what permissions/ownership the executables and config files need? Just a quick
run down:

#which exim
/usr/local/sbin/exim

#exim -bP exim_path
exim_path = /usr/local/exim-3.22/bin/exim

There is a simlink in /usr/local called exim/ that points to
/usr/local/exim-3.22/

The main config file is in
/usr/local/etc/exim/exim.conf

The ownership of all of these files is root.root. I didn't think this was a
problem because I didn't screw that up, only the permissions.

I really appreciate your assistance..
-- Daniel Einspanjer, daniel@??? on 09/28/2001