Re: [Exim] Best antivirus software with exim

Author: Tom Kistner
To: Hilko Bengen
CC: Roberto Braga, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Best antivirus software with exim
On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 10:27:37PM +0200, Hilko Bengen (bengen@???) wrote:

> Tom Kistner <tom@???> writes:
>
> > My approach is at http://duncanthrax.net/exiscan/
> >
> > It does things a bit differently, but maybe you'll like it better than
> > Amavis ... many people do. :)
>
> In what way does it do things differently/better?

I don't know about the current state of Amavis, but when I gave it a try
last year, it had two major flaws:

 1. It was scanning every mail once per recipient, causing a
    lot of overhead.

 2. It was re-sending mail. This causes all kinds of funky problems, since
    the original SMTP MAIL TO: is discarted and addresses in the header get
    re-evaluated. In many configuration (especially when you use exim as a
    smarthost machine) this can cause mail to be delivered twice to some
    recipients.

Exiscan does not require transports or directors. It is completely
transparent to exim.

Some people call it a hack. Some call it clever.
Most call it a clever hack. :)

/tom

--
Tom Kistner <tom@???>