Re: [Exim] Rejection problem.

Autor: Tabor J. Wells
A: David Corbin
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Rejection problem.
On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 09:06:46PM -0400,
David Corbin <dcorbin@???> is thought to have said:

> 1) Yes, I HUPped it.
> 2) for the record, I have the "receiver_verify = true" in the main
> configurations section. I assume that this is correct.

Yes

> 3) I'm not concerned about recieve from bad IP addresses, it's when the
> destination email address is bad, and the senders email address is bad.
>
> I did "exim -d9 -bt ebmaster@???", and got the output shown below. It
> seems to me that yes, it knows it can't deliver the message, but when I do a
> live test, the main log shows (and in my test, I get) a "returning message
> to sender". Thus, I say something is still not right, and I'm looking for
> pointers

You're misunderstanding the purpose of these testing commands.

-bt tells you what exim would do if it received an email for that address.
-bh <IP address> simulates a SMTP address from that IP address. If you do
that, and you do the SMTP session you should see a 550 returned after
entering "RCPT TO: <ebmaster@???>". It does not necessarily matter
what IP address you use (at least for testing this).

The point is that if you have receiver_verify set and you've HUP'd the
daemon, then you will not accept mail for that address only to bounce them
later. They'll never make it on to your queue in the first place.

Tabor J. Wells                                     twells@???
Fsck It!                 Just another victim of the ambient morality