Re: [Exim] 1.000.000 email delivered in single session

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Sheldon Hearn
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: Philip Hazel
Υ/ο: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: Re: [Exim] 1.000.000 email delivered in single session

On Wed, 26 Sep 2001 17:09:59 +0100, Philip Hazel wrote:

> No, I'm afraid you're wrong.

That's good news!

> If you use -odq, no delivery hints are generated. Each message will be
> independently routed and delivered. You need -odqs if you want it to
> generate delivery hints while queuing. If you use -odq, all Exim does
> is to put the message on the queue. Period.

I've just reread the description of -odq and certainly can't fault
the documentation. I can only guess that I stopped reading after
"local deliveries are done in the normal way" and assumed that the only
difference between -odq and -odqs was the handling of local addresses.
Silly.

> With -odqs you shouldn't see this. But your machine will chew up more
> resources while queuing, because it will be doing routing in order to
> generate the hints.

I've got a screaming fast DNS setup, with a local caching resolver that
uses a wide pipe to a beefy upstream forward, but is quite prepared to
do its own dirty work when the upstream forward gets sluggish.

When you speak of resources, you're just talking about DNS lookups and a
bit of IO on the hints db, right? I'm pretty sure it's not going to be
a problem; I'm just wondering whether I'm in for any surprise resource
consumption.

Ciao,
Sheldon.