Re: [Exim] 1.000.000 email delivered in single session

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Sheldon Hearn
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] 1.000.000 email delivered in single session
On Wed, 26 Sep 2001, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> I perform all queuing prior to launching the first queue runner. The
> queuing is handled by several exim -bS -odq processes. I don't use
> queue_smtp_domains, since the description of the -odq option suggests to
> me that -odq does the job already so long as all queuing completes prior
> to the commencement of delivery.
>
> I'm pretty sure this ensures delivery hints are developed before
> delivery commences, but I think I see something very close to a 1:1
> relationship between delivery processes and deliveries.

No, I'm afraid you're wrong. If you use -odq, no delivery hints are
generated. Each message will be independently routed and delivered. You
need -odqs if you want it to generate delivery hints while queuing. If
you use -odq, all Exim does is to put the message on the queue. Period.

I would expect -odqs to be more effective than running the queue with
-qq because it would do the initial stuff while the queueing is going
on, instead of processing the whole queue before starting to deliver it.

> Many of these delivery processes are refused by remote hosts on the
> grounds that I've established too many concurrent connections with those
> hosts.

With -odqs you shouldn't see this. But your machine will chew up more
resources while queuing, because it will be doing routing in order to
generate the hints.