Re: [Exim] Generic Windows Executable Content Filter

Author: Greg Ward
To: Denny Fox
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Generic Windows Executable Content Filter
On 25 September 2001, Denny Fox said:
> The filter works as described but causes a problem when the sender or
> the reply-to address of the inbound message comes from an SMTP server
> that will also not accept attachments with these filename extentions.
> The fail text "      " is fine, but the reply that Exim generates also
> includes the original email and attachment. In effect, if the sender
> lives at a host that also prohibits these attachments, we have a mail
> loop.

> What I'd like to do is discard the original message and attachments
> altogether, and just reply with the fail text " " message. That way
> mail loops will be avoided.

Change the filter so it uses the "mail" command instead of "fail", and
do *not* include "return message" in the "mail" command. Eg. here's how
my filter (derived from Nigel's) returns viral email:

  mail to $return_path
       subject "Mail returned: virus detected"
       file /etc/exim/sircam-reject.txt
       return message

This emulates the "fail" command, but with a subject of my choosing and
a bounce message in a separate file. You want to change that to this:

  mail to $return_path
       subject "Mail returned: virus detected"
       file /etc/exim/sircam-reject.txt

ie. don't include the bounced message in the bounce.

Untested, YMMV, etc.

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - software developer                gward@???