Re: [Exim] Limiting headers

Top Pagina
Auteur: Odhiambo Washington
Aan: Tamas TEVESZ
CC: Exim Users
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] Limiting headers
* Tamas TEVESZ <ice@???> [20010926 08:25]: writing on the subject 'Re: [Exim] Limiting headers'
| On Wed, 26 Sep 2001, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
|
| [sorry i was lightninghand sending the previous without completing
| it:)]
|
| dusk:~/exim/exim-3.32$ grep HEADER src/EDITME
| # HEADER_MAXSIZE="(1024*1024)"
|
| it has a paragraph to explain it too :)

<cut> From EDITME
# This parameter sets the maximum length of the header portion of a message
# that Exim is prepared to process. The default setting is one megabyte. There
# is a limit in order to catch rogue mailers that might connect to your SMTP
# port, start off a header line, and then just pump junk at it for ever. The
# message_size_limit option would also catch this, but it may not be set.

# HEADER_MAXSIZE="(1024*1024)"
</cut>

With my level of understanding seriously limited, I'm even more confused now.
Seriously I'll have to dig through the Exim port in FreeBSD to see what the
port maintainer does with regard to this one. While that is in the pipeline,
I also don't see a reason why the Exim boss says "the message_size_limit option
would also catch this"
My message_size_limit is 10M and some moron sends a 2 paragraph mail (say 200 words)
which he CCs to 'toute le monde'. Surely my message_size_limit will not catch this....

Am I missing something?

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington
Wananchi Online Ltd.,

Mankind's yearning to engage in sports is older than recorded history, dating
back to the time millions of years ago, when the first primitive man picked up
a crude club and a round rock, tossed the rock into the air, and whomped the
club into the sloping forehead of the first primitive umpire. What inner force
drove this first athlete? Your guess is as good as mine. Better, probably,
because you haven't had four beers.
-Dave Barry, "Sports is a Drag"