Re: [Exim] Re: Switching Exim on

Autor: michael
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Re: Switching Exim on
> > Wouldn't have symlinks from /usr/sbin/sendmail to /etc/mail, and from
> > there to whereever the MTA lives, sufficed for keeping /usr out of the
> > game?
>
> The point of mailwrapper(8) is to allow a mechanism by which the
> administrator can select an MTA other than the one(s) supplied as part
> of the base distribution, where the mechanism persists across system
> upgrades.

Right now there is a symlink from sendmail, mailq etc. to mailwrapper,
which in turn reads /etc/mail/mailwrapper.conf. My suggestion was
to make a symlink from /usr/lib/sendmail to /etc/mail/sendmail.
/etc/mail/sendmail should be a symlink to e.g. /usr/local/bin/exim.

If a system upgrade screws the symlinks in /etc/mail, it may as well
screw /etc/mail/mailwrapper.conf. If you switch MTAs, just adapt the
symlinks in /etc/mail instead of editing mailwrapper.conf. That way
the symlinks in /usr/... that point to /etc/mail/... never have to
change, so you can rdist /usr, upgrades can modify it and no problem.

No need for scripts, unless, of course, I can't see. :)

Michael