RE: [Exim] exicyclog request

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: John W Baxter
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: Bernard Stern, exim-users
Αντικείμενο: RE: [Exim] exicyclog request
At 9:15 +0200 9/24/2001, Bernard Stern wrote:
>On 23 Sep 2001 21:14:28 -0000 michael@??? wrote:
>
>>> Frankly, I haven't yet gotten fully comfortable with Linux logrotate
>>> configurations. But it's only a matter of practice.
>
>> If all you want it to rotate logs every now and then, logrotate is fine.
>> If you like logs of exactly a day or week, you have a problem. Logrotate
>> decides on its own when it is time to rotate instead of using fixed
>> points of time, so a daily log does not mean that logrotate will run
>> each midnight.
>
>We have patched exim so that instead of logging to just 'mainlog',
>it writes its mainlog output to mainlogs/<hostname>.<datestring>
>with <hostname> the value of 'uname -n' and <datestring> the
>date in format YYYY-MM-DD.
>It's a lot easier to archive our logs that way. I can post the patch
>if anyone is interested. Maybe this could even become a configurable
>option ;-))

YYYY-MM-DD would be fine with me on high-volume servers...on lower volume
ones, YYYY-MM would be sufficient.

The log naming facilities provided by ncftpd would be a good model to study
(although we have ncftpd configured with just the month number as the
variable...as we noticed starting in the 13th month of use ;-)).

--John

--
John Baxter   jwblist@???      Port Ludlow, WA, USA