[Exim] Pam authentication

Top Pagina
Auteur: Andreas Gietl
Aan: exim-users
Onderwerp: [Exim] Pam authentication
Hi,

about a month ago i tried to set up an environment where exim authenticates
normal system-users against pam to use it with smtp-auth.

The normal way of using the pam_unix module to authenticate the passwords of
course failed because pam just lets you check passwords when you are root or
if it is you're own password that is checked.

So i decided to patch the standard pam_unix.so module to fit my needs.

We are running it now on several linux-servers in production for about 4
weeks w/o any problems so i thought it is tested enough to share the code.

The patch just adds a module called pam_exim to the linux-pam-source and
after compilation there are two files: pam_exim.so in /lib/security and
/sbin/exim_chkpwd (with suid-bit set)

This new module is a patched pam_unix-module. For the source and details on
how the security is managed look at my site:

http://www.e-admin.de/pam_exim/

It is surely no great piece of software, but it works fine for us and i saw a
lot of people looking for a solution of this problem on this list. I hope
this code will help some people.

Andreas