Re: [Exim] virtual domain management (ie. pop3 toaster)

Autor: Vincent Danen
A: Jeremy C. Reed
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] virtual domain management (ie. pop3 toaster)
On Fri Sep 21, 2001 at 07:56:48PM -0700, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> > I'm using the vmailmgr system with qmail right now to handle multiple
> > virtual domains under a single uid. Is there something similar for
> > exim? Ie. some way I can build a large amount of virtual domains that
>
> Yes, see the other email today on the exim-users mailing list. (And it was
> also discussed yesterday. Plus it is discussed in the FAQ.)

I saw, but I'm not familiar with vm-pop3.. will have to go looking to
figure out what that is (I'm moderately familiar with sendmail, but
beyond that I've been using qmail for too long).

> > have absolutely no relationship with each other and don't require
> > system accounts to access? Ie. I want a single uid for the entire
> > system or one uid per domain, but beneath that, each user has a
> > mailbox and that's it (popping in as user@??? instead of
> > user).
>
> This is exactly what I do with Exim and vm-pop3d.

Ok, found the webpage for this. Doesn't look like it supports
SSL... =( Or maildirs. =( I'll have to look to see if courier-imap
can handle virtual mailboxes like this instead (but I won't rule
vm-pop3d out).

> > Also, what mailinglist managers do you recommend for use with exim?
>
> I don't recommend anything; but from an end-user's perspective Mailman
> works good for the exim-users list.
>
> http://www.exim.org/howto/mailman.html

Thanks. I use mailman for some lists and ezmlm for others. I have a
distinct preference for ezmlm, but I'm not a stranger to mailman (the
exim integration perhaps, but other than that I can handle it).

> > Thanks for any thoughts on this. And if there is anyone else who has
> > made the transition from qmail (for mid-sized multi-domain usage;
> > preferrably having used qmail for quite a while) and could share their
> > thoughts on how they find the two compare, I'd be grateful.
>
> In fact, this was just discussed:
> http://www.exim.org/pipermail/exim-users/Week-of-Mon-20010917/thread.html

Thanks, Jeremy. Should be interesting to see what I can come up
with. Expect more questions on the list... I'm determined not to be
stuck in the dark ages with qmail... =)

--
vdanen@???, OpenPGP key available on www.keyserver.net
1024D/FE6F2AFD   88D8 0D23 8D4B 3407 5BD7  66F9 2043 D0E5 FE6F 2AFD

Current Linux kernel 2.4.8-24mdk uptime: 4 days 11 hours 3 minutes.