Re: [Exim] CNAME and recipient rewriting

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Philip Hazel
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: Hirling Endre
Υ/ο: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: Re: [Exim] CNAME and recipient rewriting
On Tue, 18 Sep 2001, Hirling Endre wrote:

> I see that exim doesn't rewrite the envelope recipient when it finds a
> CNAME record for the domain part. Qmail does that and I'm told by a
> qmail user that it's written in rfc2821 that CNAMEs should be handled
> that way. I read the rfc and couldn't find anything that would suggest
> rewriting. Would pls someone that knows SMTP and its standards better,
> clarify this?

Without checking,[1] I seem to recall that this is something that was in
earlier RFCs and which Sendmail implemented. However, a lot of other
MTAs (including Exim) do not do this, and nowadays it is not seen as the
"right thing to do". So it is not present in RFC 2821.

[1] Hmm. Can't find it in 821 or 1123.