Re: [Exim] exim in a commercial enviroment

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Dan Lowe
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: Dave C.
Υ/ο: Spandler, Paul, 'exim-users@exim.org'
Αντικείμενο: Re: [Exim] exim in a commercial enviroment
Previously, Dave C. said:

> Why on earth something being 'freely distributed' should be a concern
> over using it is completely a loss for me.

This kind of attitude from a board-room type probably boils down to "who
can we sue if this thing blows up in our face and we lose business?"

At least, that's what it's boiled down to in my experience. In my case in
particular, however, the commercial software that was involved melted down
and Exim was used to come to the rescue. Without giving away any
confidential information, all I'll say is that there was some legal action
involved with the vendor and some settlements were made (seven figures).

However, IMO it was pointless because if Exim were used in the first place
we never would have had the trouble to begin with. That probably would
have held true for Postfix, Qmail, the free version of Sendmail, etc.

> Anyone expressing worry over using
> free code clearly doesnt 'get it'.

Agreed wholeheartedly. In my case, some of the folks who brought the
software in question to the table at the beginning have since opted to
leave the company.

-dan

--
Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep
your mouth shut.                                   -Ernest Hemingway