Re: [Exim] Exim install script

Autor: Dr Andrew C Aitchison
A: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Exim install script
On Thu, 13 Sep 2001, Philip Hazel wrote:

> The current exim_install script renames old versions as xxxx.O. This is
> probably reasonable for the various utilities, but it is less than ideal
> for the Exim binary itself. For a start, it leaves a window with no exim
> when upgrading. For Exim 4 I am proposing to change things. Anybody have
> any views on this (relatively minor) change of action?

I think that leaving a window with no exim might be a *good* idea for
some of us, when upgrading from v3 to v4.

From what has been suggested for exim 4, I don't think I want to run
the same config file, and I'm pretty sure that some of us will forget
to change the config file name compiled into the binary.
A window without exim will allow us to change the config file.

Or do you have a fail-safe way of insuring that the binary can always
select the appropriate config file when upgrading :-)

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison        Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
A.C.Aitchison@???    http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna