[Exim] Rewriting

Autor: Ollie Cook
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [Exim] Rewriting
Hi,

I'm planning to make some quite major changes to our mail
servers in the coming months and have decided to use some
rewriting to slim down our current config a bit.

The current situation is that customers get a username
and can receive email as:

username@??? or anything@???

'domain.com' can be any of a number of VISP domain names,
but usernames are shared between VISPs.

  i.e. ollie@??? and ollie@??? end up in
       the same place.

The way we handle this at the moment is to build up two
CDBs from an SQL database every so often:

usernames.cdb:

     user1
     user2
     userN

domains.cdb:

     user1.visp1.com
     user2.visp1.com
     userN.visp1.com
     user1.visp2.com
     user2.visp2.com
     userN.visp2.com

As you can see, not wildy efficient on the domains.cdb front!
Various directors decide on the basis of these CDBs whether
to accept the mail.

What I would prefer to do is to use rewriting so that:

   userN@???        remains    userN@???
    name@???    -->         userN@???

Then I could have one director, which could just use usernames.cdb
to check local_parts, and have 'domains = VISPS' where VISPS is a
macro.

However - I can't find a way to retain the 'name' part of
the original address, which the customers would require for
filtering their mail, by using any of the rewriting flags.

Can anybody suggest a solution?

Thanks for your time.

Ollie

--
Oliver Cook    Systems Administrator, ClaraNET
ollie@???               020 7903 3065