Re: [Exim] Exim install script

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Philip Hazel
To: Sheldon Hearn
CC: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] Exim install script
On Fri, 14 Sep 2001, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

>    cp .../sbin/exim .../sbin/exim.old.version
>    cp .../obj/exim .../sbin/exim.new.version
>    ln .../sbin/exim.new.version .../sbin/exim
>    rm .../sbin/exim.new.version

> However, looking back at Philip's original mail, it seems that a goal is
> to make it easy to see the version of the Exim binary simply by looking
> at the filesystem.

And also to allow the keeping of multiple old versions if you so wish.
And to make it easier to back off a new version, by simply moving the
pointer.

> This feels icky to me, since a filename can always be a lie, while exim
> -bV can't.

Ever heard of patching binaries? :-) You can change the version number
inside an Exim binary with a text editor pretty well as easily as you can
rename a file. (Assuming your text editor can cope with editing binaries.)