Re: [Exim] Exim install script

Author: Vadim Vygonets
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim install script
Quoth Philip Hazel on Thu, Sep 13, 2001:
> (And _real_ newbies don't even know
> about soft links. For myself, I always alias "ls" to "ls -F" so I know
> what kinds of thing I'm looking at. Perhaps this is what has moulded my
> views.)

Symlinks are better than hard links. A regular file is just a
hard link. You must do 'ls -l' and pay attention to the number
of hard links to see whether a file has more than one 'name'.
Finding other hard links to a file is not trivial at all (well,
in this case you have only files named 'exim*' in current
directory to scan, but you get my drift). I vote for symlinks.

Of course, this just applies to the situation in question. For
other situations other reasons may lead to other choices.

Vadik.

--
Avoid reality at all costs.