Re: [Exim] Exim 4: Opinions sought

Author: Sheldon Hearn
To: Greg Ward
CC: exim-users, Vadim Vygonets
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim 4: Opinions sought

On Thu, 13 Sep 2001 10:47:53 -0400, Greg Ward wrote:

> Yes -- if you're taking one good idea from Perl, why not take two more
> at the same time? Perl's quoting/expansion rules are a tad complex, but
> they seem to me a lot less scary than Exim's.

They're certainly the most sensible I've seen for any implementation
involving similar feature sets. In particular, it's great to rest
assured that _any_ punctuation mark can be escaped without introducing
some special meaning.

As with anything, it requires learning. The point, though, is how much
of what is learned can be retained. Much of this has to do with the
internal consistency of the system. I think Perl's expansion mechanism
has a high degree of internal consistency.

Ciao,
Sheldon.