Re: [Exim] Port number in route_list

Author: Greg Ward
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Port number in route_list
On 13 September 2001, I. Forbes said:
> I am trying to forward all mail for a given domain to an smtp server
> on a non-standard port number.

Small world -- it seems that my ISP started blocking port 25 overnight,
so I now have to do the same thing.

Here's the scenario: mail to gward@??? (my public work
address) first goes to the mems-exchange.org server (kronos) -- which I
control, thankfully -- and then to my home machine, cthulhu.gerg.ca. My
home machine is on a cable modem, goes down nightly, etc., so I don't
let it receive mail directly. (Plus that would violate my ISP's ToS,
and now that they're blocking port 25 it won't work at all.) Both
machines run Exim under Debian Linux.

On my home machine, cthulhu, I just added "-oX 26" to listen to a
non-standard port.

On the remote server, kronos, I added this transport:
  special_remote_smtp:
    driver = smtp
    port = 26
(which is identical to yours) and this router:
  special_lookuphost:
    driver = lookuphost
    domains = gerg.ca
    transport = special_remote_smtp
This is a bit nicer than your solution, since it doesn't require me
to enter the mail server for gerg.ca -- let Exim do a DNS MX lookup to
find cthulhu.gerg.ca.

Of course, thanks to my ISP's port blocking, that DNS MX record for
gerg.ca is now in violation of Philip's planned RFC about this sort of
thing. Grumble! Can anyone recommend a good "store-and-forward" email
provider?

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - software developer                gward@???