Re: [Exim] ETRN with dialup hosts.

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Jeff Green
To: Ian Kirk, exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] ETRN with dialup hosts.
At 11:20 AM 9/12/01 , Ian Kirk wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I've been looking at sample config C037 - but this dosen't seem (to my
>novice eye) to allow sending of the queued mail to a specified hostname.
>That is, to bypass the normal MX checks and deliver to a specific host.
>
>Obviously, this may be insecure (delivering other peoples mail to your
>server) - so I was hoping to couple it with SMTP AUTH.
>
>Has anyone done this ?

If I can convince the ISP, bypassing the mx (or not having one for the domain
in question) using ETRN will be implemented soon. There is security for two
reasons
(and I refer you to RFC 1985 for a better explanation) -

1- the MTA queuing the mail must have authorized ETRN host addresses in its
configuration file(s)

2- if so configured, the queuing MTA initiates a new SMTP connection to the
target host,
which is subject to the requirements of any other SMTP connection (DNS,
ident, etc.).

>Please point me at C$NUM or Q$NUM if its in FAQ (I couldn't see anything
>when I looked)

That I can't do, sorry. Let us know (or at least myself) how you fare.
Removing MX
records from disconnected/dial-up hosts is a recent hot topic on the list,
so this tails
that discussion nicely.

Best regards,

Jeff Green

Jeffrey B. Green        Personal Computer Consultant - Las Vegas, Nevada
http://jbgreen.com        Networking Las Vegas Since 1986