Re: [Exim] IP address in Received headers..

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Philip Hazel
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: Dave C.
Υ/ο: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: Re: [Exim] IP address in Received headers..
On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Dave C. wrote:

> I had recently enabled log_incoming_port, and just received a report
> from one of our users with the below text.

This was discussed in a thread on the list several months ago. There was
debate on exactly what should be done. In fact, I have done nothing to
Exim 3. However, for Exim 4 I have changed things so that ports are
given in this notation: [1.2.3.4]:25

> > Your e-mail could not be delivered. Your mail service does not comply
> > with RFC-822 regarding IP addresses in Received lines.

With respect, this is nonsense. The IP address in the Received: line (if
you are using the default configuration) is within an RFC (2)822 comment.

Why are people so eager to quote RFC 822 without reading it? It says:

     received    =  "Received"    ":"            ; one per relay
                       ["from" domain]           ; sending host
                       ["by"   domain]           ; receiving host
                       ["via"  atom]             ; physical path
                      *("with" atom)             ; link/mail protocol
                       ["id"   msg-id]           ; receiver msg id
                       ["for"  addr-spec]        ; initial form
                        ";"    date-time         ; time received

I see no mention of any IP address in there.

[I chose the a.b.c.d.p notation because that's what netstat uses, and it
works with both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses. However, sigh, it seems to
foul up too many things, which is why I'm changing it for Exim 4.]