Re: [Exim] Web based admin

Top Pagina
Auteur: Dr Andrew C Aitchison
Aan: Patrick
CC: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] Web based admin
On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Patrick wrote:

> There seems to be an ongoing confusion in this thread about what Webmin
> and Linuxconf is for.
>
> Webmin makes an entire system manageable for a non-technical user. If
> it included all the options for all the packages, it would be
> incomprehensible to a non-technical user and therefore useless.
>
> A GUI to setup a complex mail environment is a different project. I
> have no doubt that it would be a fine project for someone who's problem
> it is aimed at. But my original post was aimed at at a Webmin module or
> Linuxconf module that allows someone who to manage their users without
> ever needing to find out that SMTP exists let alone what the letters
> stand for.

If these are users with general purpose login accounts, once an MTA
is setup I don't see why it needs specific management for changes in
users, except for the alias file/database. Exim and all other MTAs
I've managed will notice changes in /etc/aliases or NIS alias maps
without being prodded, so I think webmin only needs to manage an
alias file/db, something which is independent of MTA.
Hence my confusion about a tool to manage exim.

If these users *don't* have general purpose login accounts, but only
pop/imap access, the manager had better know about SMTP.

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison        Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
A.C.Aitchison@???    http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna