Re: [Exim] Web based admin

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Sheldon Hearn
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: Yann Golanski
Υ/ο: Richard rebel, Derek Broughton, exim-users
Αντικείμενο: Re: [Exim] Web based admin

On Fri, 07 Sep 2001 16:10:30 +0100, Yann Golanski wrote:

> FreeBSD nearly used Exim as its main MTA but couldn't because of the
> lisence? ... or was it Red Hat? Phil?

It's complicated, but the publically disclosed reasons why Exim isn't
the default MTA in FreeBSD are:

1) License (GPL vs BSD)

2) Sendmail is ubiquitous (the vi argument)

3) If not sendmail, then why Exim vs XXX (e.g. Postfix)

There has been a general consensus that sysinstall should make it easier
to install an alternative MTA. Personally, I don't think that can
happen until FreeBSD grows the mailnull user, which Gary Shapiro tells
me will come along with the next Sendmail update. Once that happens,
Exim can have EXIM_USER compiled in, at which point the packages become
serious contenders.

Please, let's not discuss this here. I'm just clarifying what's been
said thus far. if you're interested in this topic, the FreeBSD mailing
list archives lie in wait.

Ciao,
Sheldon.