Re: [Exim] Re: Web based admin

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Sheldon Hearn
To: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] Re: Web based admin
This thread might have been substantially more productive if we'd
determined what aspects of the MTA the web administration interface was
actually required for.

Assume for a moment that a web admin interface provided this (and only
this) functionality:

    1) Stopping, starting and restarting listeners and queuers.
    2) Adjusting various *_max values.
    3) Using preconfigured human-readable names to easily identify
       various lookup sources.
    4) Safely (atomically) adding entries to a few lookup sources,
       e.g. flat file and "the local DBM system".
    5) Queue management a'la eximon.
    6) Process snapshots a'la exiwhat.
    7) Ad-hoc message lifecycle queries (i.e. "What happened to that
       message the boss never got?")
    8) View performance and problem reports.

I think something reasonable could be delivered that would allow someone
with no experience of Exim, but a general understanding of MTA's, to
babysit an already configured server and call for help when things wax
twilight.

If you can't see the value in providing that level of functionality via
a web interface, then you either can't afford underlings, don't sleep or
don't really use Exim for much. Whatever your reason, you're clearly
not qualified to contribute to the discussion. :-)

Ciao,
Sheldon.