Re: [Exim] Web based admin

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Yann Golanski
Para: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Web based admin
Quoth Patrick Kirk on Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 01:39:45PM +0000
> #! On Fri, Sep 07, 2001, Yann Golanski wrote:
> >some states on the log files like Existat and present it in a nice web
> >form. That would be very usefull. Oh, if you choose to do that, please
> >do not write it in some scripting language (perl, python, sh, tcl...) as
> >they will hit the system too hard to get anything of value and they will
> >be slow as hell. C is the ideal choice there.
>
> Actually, most web-based tools use some kind of scripting language
> because its fast to develop. If hardware is really an isssue as a
> resukt of this, its cheaper to add RAM than pay for a few weeks C
> programming.

*sigh* I'm not even going to go into that attitude...

As for scripting and webtools, of course you have to have a scripting
language. Mod Perl does wonders with Apache and there isn't that much of
a performacne hit.

However scripting languages should be used for scripts, not deamons and
system monitoring tools. I wrote a mail monitoring tool while at Energis
Squared in perl and had to re-write it in C because the script was
messing up the data gathering and we could not get anything usefull out
of it. Now, if you have a mail system that puts out 1 mail an hour, sure
use perl. If you have one that puts out 500k per hour, try perl and
you'll be sorry. It's a question of scale.

--
                         www.kierun.org
Yann@???                                Use Pretty Good Privacy.