Re: [Exim] theoretical(?) question on etrn

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Tamas TEVESZ
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] theoretical(?) question on etrn
On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, Tamas TEVESZ wrote:

> actually there's something in etrn that bothers me. being able to
> connect to an smtp server and having access to the ETRN command, i can
> start a queue run to any domain i wish to. isn't that bad ?

Only if you come from a host in smtp_etrn_hosts. And then only if ETRN
just does a queue run. If you want to, you can make ETRN run an
arbitrary script. This could check the incoming host's IP address and
allow only queue_runs for its domain(s). [But -Rf does try to delivery
all addresses in a message - not just those that cause the message to be
processed.]

But yes, you are right, it's a mess.

ETRN support is not something I designed into Exim. People asked for it,
so I provided a lash-up. I think the reason people asked for is was the
that Microsoft clients they were running expected it to be available.

My standard defence is that I did not write Exim for this kind of use.

My standard recommendation for use with intermittently connected hosts
is NOT to save their mail on Exim's queue, but to deliver it into files
in BSMTP format, and use some other scheme for getting it delivered when
the client connects.

> or does a one-time -Rf cease the effect of
> hold_domains ?

No.