[Exim] Newbie Exim docs we talked about....

Author: Chris Seberino
To: ph10
CC: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Newbie Exim docs we talked about....
Phil

Per our previous email discussions I have written
up a rough draft of Exim source quick install HOWTO
for two common classes of Exim users (1. clients
and 2. mail servers on isolated/firewalled LANs such
that less security concerns). I need some questions
answered from you and I need myself to test this
before releasing it as 1.0 version. The reason for
these questions is I'm trying to ascertain the
simplest Makefile usable for my class of users --
even simpler than the one in your O'Reilly book if
possible...

(Remember I am a NEWBIE trying to make this HOWTO
not a guru email manager. Remember this was
intentional.)

Q1. Is the EXIM_UID & EXIM_GID trick to avoid always running
as root useful/necessary if only running Exim as a client?
As far as I can tell there is no security risk with email if one
is NOT running exim daemon in background to RECEIVE emails.

Q2. Will exim default to using syslog with this minimal
Makefile or is "LOG_FILE_PATH=syslog" necessary? If
we don't use syslog then newbies need to rotate log files
which may give them a heart attack.

Q3. Are all the DIRECTOR_* variables in Makefile
absolutely necessary for client usage of exim???
Please explain their use in few sentences if so.
Is it possible to remove some or all?
What about LOOKUP_DBM and LOOKUP_LSEARCH???
Can you explain what *clients* need this for if necessary?

Q4: SPOOL_MODE=0600, LOG_DIRECTORY_MODE=0600
    MSGLOG_DIRECTORY_MODE=0700 and
    SPOOL_DIRECTORY_MODE=0700 all OK???
    Can we get away with making all this stuff
    NOT be group/world readable???
    i.e. Will my 600s and 700s work????

Hope this helps,

Chris

| Dr. Christian Seberino  || (619) 553-7811 (office1) |
| SPAWARSYSCEN D73C       || (619) 553-2564 (office2) |
| 53560 HULL ST           || (619) 553-6307 (fax)     |
| SAN DIEGO CA 92152-5001 || seberino@??? |

Exim Quick Installation HOWTO v0.5

Christian Seberino
August 28, 2001
seberino@???

This HOWTO installs Exim from sources on a current Linux installation. It has been tested on Red Hat 6.2 and Slackware 7.0.

1. Uncompress and untar Exim sources:

    tar xvfz exim-<version>.tar.gz.

2. Place the following in <path to source directory>/Local/Makefile, a new file in a new directory under the source directory:

BIN_DIRECTORY=/usr/exim/bin
CONFIGURE_FILE=/usr/exim/configure

DIRECTOR_ALIASFILE=yes
DIRECTOR_FORWARDFILE=yes
DIRECTOR_LOCALUSER=yes
DIRECTOR_SMARTUSER=yes

LOOKUP_DBM=yes
LOOKUP_LSEARCH=yes

ROUTER_DOMAINLIST=yes
ROUTER_LOOKUPHOST=yes

SPOOL_DIRECTORY=/var/spool/exim
SPOOL_MODE=0640

SUPPORT_TLS=yes
TLS_LIBS=-lssl -lcrypto

TRANSPORT_APPENDFILE=yes
TRANSPORT_AUTOREPLY=yes
TRANSPORT_PIPE=yes
TRANSPORT_SMTP=yes

3. Execute the following as root:

    make; make install.

4. Link /usr/sbin/sendmail to the Exim executable as follows:

    ln -s /usr/exim/bin/exim /usr/sbin/sendmail.

5. To receive email anytime execute the following:

    /usr/sbin/sendmail -bd -q15m.

    WARNING!!! DO NOT USE THIS QUICK INSTALLATION TO RECEIVE     EMAIL (REMOTE MAIL SERVER OK) UNLESS YOU ARE ON AN     ISOLATED OR FIREWALLED LAN.

If any problems, refer to aforementioned sources for additional help.--