Re: [Exim] When the lowest numbered MX is firewalled.

Author: Thorkild Stray
To: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] When the lowest numbered MX is firewalled.
On Thu, 30 Aug 2001, Philip Hazel wrote:

>On 30 Aug 2001, Thorkild Stray wrote:
>
>> adm.mail.com          MX      5 gw.mail.com
>> adm.mail.com          MX      10 recv.mail.com
>> gw.mail.com does not allow connections directly to itself, it is
>> firewalled. To send mail, one must send it to recv.mail.com, which is
>> allowed to connect to the gw directly.
>DON'T DO THIS! Sorry for shouting, but this is something that is
>*really* annoying.

I totally agree! I don't like it at all, but this is not a system I am in
any way in control of. This is a remote system, and I am just getting
complained to because mails through mailservers I control bounce back.

>> The problem is when this has been going on for a while. Then the
>> "gw.mail.com" machine is blacklisted in Exim and it is bounced with:
>Quite right. Sorry to be hard here, but I think this is your problem,
>not Exim's problem.

Well, yes, but how should I best handle mailservers that are setup this
way? Sadly I can't get it changed since I don't have any control over it.

--
Thorkild