Re: [Exim] Is Exin SNMP Aware?

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Theo E. Schlossnagle
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Is Exin SNMP Aware?
On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Theo E. Schlossnagle wrote:

> I think the loadable module, with hooks is a much cleaner approach.

Does every single OS that Exim runs under support loadable modules? In
the same way? I've learned to be extremely cautious about introducing
new OS functionality to Exim.

> I have
> patch lying around for exim 3.22 that did this (worked under linux,
> but should be hard to stretch to *BSD and Solaris).

I hope that was a typo. :-)

Another approach, which is more basic, it to allow you to supply a C
function that gets built and linked into Exim. The function would be
called for appropriate logging events. Then you can do what you want
inside the function (load modules if you want to) while I can avoid
adding new OS requirements. I've done this for message scanning on
arrival; it would be easy enough to do it also for logging.

Is this a reasonable compromise?