Re: [Exim] Help with SMTP AUTH

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Odhiambo Washington
A: Exim Users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Help with SMTP AUTH
* Peter Radcliffe <pir@???> [20010828 18:49]: writing on the subject 'Re: [Exim] Help with SMTP AUTH'
| Odhiambo Washington <wash@???> probably said:
| > Please allow me to ask this for the umpteenth time. It's been asked before
| > but still it just doesn't work for me. I use FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE and the
| > encrypted passwords reside in /etc/master.passwd.
| > Now is I do a lookup for user:encrypted-passwd it all works (thanks to
| > Tamas TEVESZ). It's probably too much work going into the passwd file to
| > extract the username:passwd combination (it can be done easily by a small
| > script though) so I want the lookup to be done on the master.passwd
| > itself.
| >
| > The config below doesn't work, so far because of permissions on
| > /etc/master.passwd. The mainlog says this:
|
| and pointed out many times that exim running as an exim user cannot
| read master/shadow password files.
|
| > /etc/master.passwd is mode 0600 owned by root:wheel
| >
| > Is there something that I need to do so that it can allow me go to the
| > next test phase??
|
| Don't use master.password. Either sync your passwords to elsewhere
| which is readable by exim or have a completely seperate password
| database which is readable by exim.

From the help that I got from Tamas TEVESZ, I created a file in some
directory,

chown exim dirname
vi filename
chown exim:mail filename
chmod 0600 filename

This filename is the one that has username:encryptedpassw
The encryptedpasswd is copied from /etc/master.passwd

| Personally I'd never use login passwords for SMTP AUTH - they get used
| in the clear too often (although it's not as bad if you enforce AUTH
| only over TLS/SSL, which I do).

Now this is another milestone. If only I could get over the 1st phase of
getting it to work, then I can make the 2nd phase an implementation phase
for TLS/SSL

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington
Wananchi Online Ltd.,

Amanda: I don't think anybody ever thought anything about me other than I look
good next to them. And I went along with it because I'd rather be next to
somebody for the wrong reasons then alone for the right ones. Keith: I'd
rather be right. Amanda: You can stand being alone? Keith: Nobody can stand
being alone. The minute you stop thinking there's someone out there for you
it's over, isn't it?
-Lea Thompson and Eric Stolz, "Some Kind of Wonderful"