Re: [Exim] Help with SMTP AUTH

Author: Peter Radcliffe
To: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Help with SMTP AUTH
Odhiambo Washington <wash@???> probably said:
> Please allow me to ask this for the umpteenth time. It's been asked before
> but still it just doesn't work for me. I use FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE and the
> encrypted passwords reside in /etc/master.passwd.
> Now is I do a lookup for user:encrypted-passwd it all works (thanks to
> Tamas TEVESZ). It's probably too much work going into the passwd file to
> extract the username:passwd combination (it can be done easily by a small
> script though) so I want the lookup to be done on the master.passwd
> itself.
>
> The config below doesn't work, so far because of permissions on
> /etc/master.passwd. The mainlog says this:

and pointed out many times that exim running as an exim user cannot
read master/shadow password files.

> /etc/master.passwd is mode 0600 owned by root:wheel
>
> Is there something that I need to do so that it can allow me go to the
> next test phase??

Don't use master.password. Either sync your passwords to elsewhere
which is readable by exim or have a completely seperate password
database which is readable by exim.

Personally I'd never use login passwords for SMTP AUTH - they get used
in the clear too often (although it's not as bad if you enforce AUTH
only over TLS/SSL, which I do).

P.

--
pir                pir-sig@???                 pir-sig@???