[Exim] Re: POLL: FreeBSD ports & WITHOUT_X11

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Sheldon Hearn
A: exim-users
Asunto: [Exim] Re: POLL: FreeBSD ports & WITHOUT_X11
[Folks who don't use FreeBSD can safely ignore this message.]

On Wed, 22 Aug 2001 11:22:24 +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> NOTE: Please do not reply to the list.  I will follow up next week with
>       a digest of private feedback.

As promised, here is the feedback on the issue of breaking eximon out
into its own FreeBSD package.

Basically, 8 people responded and they were all in favour of breaking
the XFree86 dependency in the exim and exim slave ports and packages.

There were various opinions on how this should be done, but nobody was
opposed to the proposed solution. Of the respondants, 4 people don't
actually use eximon, but I suspect that this is pretty representative of
the FreeBSD-exim userbase.

I've just checked in the exim-monitor port into the mail category of
the FreeBSD ports tree and excluded eximon from the exim port and its
slaves.

The dependencies for exim-monitor and exim and its slave ports are
backwards. If exim or its slaves are built with WITH_EXIMON=yes,
exim-monitor becomes a RUN_DEPENDS. The exim-monitor port does not
depend on exim, nor on any of its slave ports.

This oddness allows two important things to happen:

1) ISPs and other organizations building their own custom releases can
build Exim packages that include eximon simply by creating the Exim
packages with WITH_EXIMON=yes defined.

2) Folks who install one of the exim slave ports can still add eximon to
the system simply by adding the exim-monitor package.

I expect the packages to appear on ftp.FreeBSD.org and mirrors by Monday
next week.

Feedback welcome. Otherwise, enjoy!

Ciao,
Sheldon.