Re: [Exim] 2 questions: sender verification and configure fi…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Todd Jagger
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] 2 questions: sender verification and configure file syntax
On Sun, 26 Aug 2001, Todd Jagger wrote:

> 2001-08-26 09:59:55 15b1OE-0001OM-00 rejected from
> exprod5mx17.psmtp.com (psmtp.com) [64.75.1.157]: can't currently verify
> any sende
> r in the header lines (envelope sender is <rq3ops@???>) - try
> later

> F From: "Sender's Name" <sendersname@???>

> Okay, now the sender is using a domain (worldrescueservices.com) that
> doesn't have an MX record so it makes sense that it would be rejected,
> but the envelope sender of rq3ops@??? does resolve and a finger
> of that address even works. So why didn't the address get re-written?

sender_verify_fixup fixes broken envelope senders, using valid senders
from the headers. Your message is broken the other way round...

> For what it's worth I don't think I've *ever* seen an address get
> re-written by my inclusion of sender_verify_fixup.

I think the problem that this feature was addressing (several years ago)
is no longer current; sender_verify_fixup is being abolished in Exim 4.

> Q2: In our configure files is the inclusion of the true/false notation
> deprecated? For example, if I recall correctly many versions ago we
> would put something like "sender_verify = true" in our configure files
> to turn that on, but it seems now that's not necessary, am I right?

It never was necessary. In fact, the true/false notation was implemented
*after* the original null/"no_" notation.

> would think the only time we would need to include a true/false note is
> if we wanted to specifically override the default behavior. In what
> cases is a true or false notation necessary in the configure file, if
> at all?

Quote from the manual:

Options whose type is given as boolean are on/off switches that are not always
followed by a data value. If the option name is specified on its own without
data, the switch is turned on; if it is preceded by 'no_' or 'not_' the switch
is turned off. However, boolean options may be followed by an equals sign and
one of the words 'true', 'false', 'yes', or 'no'. For example:

So xxx xxx=true xxx=yes are equivalent; as are no_xxx not_xxx xxx=no
xxx=false. None of these forms are deprecated.