Re: [Exim] Installation crashes when I try to compile

Author: Philip Hazel
To: exim-users
CC: P Kirk
Subject: Re: [Exim] Installation crashes when I try to compile
On Sat, 25 Aug 2001, Dave C. wrote:

> Berkely DB is hardly a 'relational' db..

Quite. In fact, even DB3 is very much overkill for Exim. All Exim needs
is a simple indexed file access method. I was somewhat surprised to
discover, on encountering Unix systems other than Solaris (where I was
developing Exim), that such a thing wasn't entirely standard in Unix.
Indeed, some early packagings of Linux didn't contain any indexed access
method at all (to my great amazement).

> Exim uses db file to store things such as its hints database. I think
> exim requires some implementaton of DB, but its normally part of any
> installation of unix anyway.

Fortunately, that is nowadays generally true.

> I dont think it can use CDB for its files..

No, it can't. But it can use tdb, a "trivial database" which is very
simple (I understand).

Had I realized at the start that there was going to be this mess with a
zillion different DBM libraries, I might have done things differently.