Re: [Exim] Dlopen failure, solaris 8 (sorry, redundant msg)

Author: Dr Andrew C Aitchison
To: imyaman
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Dlopen failure, solaris 8 (sorry, redundant msg)
On Fri, 24 Aug 2001 imyaman@??? wrote:

> I'm using solaris 8 and want to auth users.
>
> Running PAM authentication for user "imyaman"
> PAM error: Dlopen failure
> plain authenticator:
> $1 =
> $2 = imyaman
> $3 = MYPASSWD
> expansion failed: Dlopen failure
> SMTP>> 435 Unable to authenticate at present: Dlopen failure

I'd guess that the process is running as some user (exim?) which doesn't
have permission to use pam. On sufficiently security conscious systems,
only privileged users (and perhaps the user in question) can access the
user's password, or verify that the one given is correct.
However exim tries to run with as few privileges as possible at all
times.

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison        Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
A.C.Aitchison@???    http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna