Re: [Exim] errors_copy

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Phil Pennock
CC: Dan Egli, Exim Users
Subject: Re: [Exim] errors_copy
On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Phil Pennock wrote:

> The author lives in Britain. That's currently at GMT + 1hr (almost 9pm
> as I write).

Not only that, but I try very hard to spend as little time as possible
anwering the very many posts on this list. If I did not do that, Exim
development would grind to a halt. I let other people on the list deal
with messages first, and after about 24 hours I may then pick up
something that is still unresolved.

Sometimes I may post in the (British) evenings and weekends, but I also
happen to have a life outside computing. This week, for example, I am
spending every evening and most of Saturday backstage in the theatre,
and I'm doing other stuff on Sunday as well.

Now, to the real question:

(1) errors_copy applies only to bounce messages generated by the Exim
for which it is configured. It does not apply to incoming bounce
messages from other MTAs. I will make the documentation clearer at the
next revision. I have tested

errors_copy = *@* some@dress

and it works (it is in my regression tests).

(2) If you want to take a copy of *all* bounce messages, including those
that come in from other MTAs, there are several ways you can do it. One
simple way is to put a command like the following in a system filter:

if error_message then unseen deliver some@dress endif

Alternative approaches are to set up special directors and/or routers to
recognize bounce messages (by the fact that they have empty senders -
you need this setting

senders = :

) and using "unseen" to take copies that way.