Re: [Exim] system-filter update - please test also problem w…

Author: jens persson
To: Nigel Metheringham
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] system-filter update - please test also problem with "string_sprintf expansion was longer than 8192"
Sorry for duplicating this message but i just realised that just about
every (including our) version of the system-filter will reject it..

So here it is with spaces inserted into the MIME code:

Hello!

There might be a problem with this new version, making it give false
positives. I think that the following happened a mail with a attached
pgp signature (actually a Microsoft sec bulletin MS01-038) that contained
something like this:

- - - - - - _ = _ N e x t P a r t _ 0 0 0 _ 0 1 C 0 F A 6 A . C 3 9 B A A 1 0
C o n t e n t - T y p e :   a p p l i c a t i o n / p g p ;
                n a m e = " P G P e x c h . h t m . a s c "
                C o n t e n t - T r a n s f e r - E n c o d i n g :   b a s e 6 4
                C o n t e n t - D e s c r i p t i o n :   P G P e x c h . h t m . a s c
                C o n t e n t - D i s p o s i t i o n :   a t t a c h m e n t ;
                f i l e n a m e = " P G P e x c h . h t m . a s c "

cWYvWGR4azBUdTEvexeydFgNCjg3cTN2QjRjMmZlYjk1ei94ZHEvYmp1K2UrSHZ0OURweXRUN0wx
                ^^^
(note this is not the actual message since it was lost during my testing.
 Yes I know... But backups are for wimps :-)

I think that this might be becurse of the change from \w to . that should
have been into [^"] so that it don't continue past the name (I'm not sure
whether the ":s are mandatory or if we need to get into backtracking).

I then discover it sitting in the queue giving:
LOG: 0 PANIC DIE
string_sprintf expansion was longer than 8192

Since the match was quite long and when constructing the fail
message it became longer then 8192 chars. I removed the reference
to $1 in the fail message and the queue run went well (bouncing the
message).

/jp