Re: [Exim] Exim-3.32 on FreeBSD

Author: Richard Welty
To: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim-3.32 on FreeBSD
On Tue, 14 Aug 2001 16:53:15 +0100, Chris Thompson wrote:

>Richard Welty <rwelty@???> writes:
>>
>> On Tue, 14 Aug 2001 15:15:35 +0300, you wrote:
>>
>> after some off line exchanges with Tabor Wells, and refering back to
>> Philip's book, i've become persuaded that i was confused.
>>
>> correct solutions are in fact either
>>
>> chmod 1777 /var/mail
>>
>> or else using group permissions to control the directory. the sticky
>> bit by itself won't do the job.
>
>This makes no sense. The sticky bit is precisely the "1" in the 1777
>in the chmod command. Either it is a "correct solution", that "does
>the job", or it isn't!

you can't just use the sticky bit by itself, you have to also provide
the write permissions, whether you like it or not.

the alternative, games with user/group ownership, causes problems with
some MUAs. my confusion set in because i've been administering a small
host where the bulk of the users are coming in through the same pop3
interface, with little or no use of MUAs local to the host, which is
much simpler than having to make every possible MUA in the universe
happy with the configuration of the mail spool directory (this latter
being the type of environment i've not had to administrate for ages).

again, the choices are to run with 1777 and take the risk, or trim
down user/group permissions and listen to minor complaints from users.

richard